10 May Dominio de Berzal Crianza 2019, Silver at Challenge International du Vin 2022
It has done it again. Our Dominio de Berzal Crianza has added a new achievement to its already extensive list of awards. On this occasion, its 2019 vintage has won a Silver Medal at the 46th edition of the prestigious Challenge International du Vin, the oldest international competition. This competition is considered one of the most prestigious in the profession and is open to all wines and spirits of vinous origin in the world.
In this edition, held on 8 and 9 April in Bordeaux, a total of 530 tasters came together to analyse the 3,179 samples from 26 participating countries this year. Among them, Dominio de Berzal Crianza 2019, which was awarded the Silver Medal.
Dominio de Berzal Crianza 2019 is made with grapes (95% Tempranillo, 5% Graciano) from vineyards over 40 years old. Highly controlled and selective viticulture and ageing in American and French oak give it exceptional quality.
It is one of the Crianzas from Rioja Alavesa most highly valued by the guides and the best critics. In its different vintages it has obtained awards such as:
- Table of Honour (8.25 points out of 10) in the Gourmets Guide to the Best Wines of Spain 2013.
- Gold Medal at the New Wine Awards 2015.
- Silver Medal at the Decanter World Wine Awards 2017.
- Silver Medal at the Challenge International du Vin 2017 in Bordeaux.
- 89 Points in the Peñín Guide to the Wines of Spain 2018.
- 90 Points James Suckling 2019.
- 90 Points Peñin 2019.
- Germany Rioja top 100 – 2018.
- Gold Tempranillo in the “Tempranillo World Cup”, 2019 (Buselas).
- 91 points in the “Rioja 2021 Special Report” by Tim Atkin.
- 1st Classified in the Rioja Alavesa Harvest Festival 2020 competition in “Crianzas”.
Dominio de Berzal’s viticulture is characterised by respect for the plant. The grapes grown in goblet and trellised vineyards are irrigated only by drip irrigation in at least 80% of the plantation.
Rioja Alavesa is a privileged area due to its soil, structure, altitude and orientation. These characteristics provide the vines with exceptional conditions. The aim of this cultivation is to produce wines of the highest quality while respecting the essence of the terroir. With the philosophy of sustainable agriculture and care for the environment, we seek balance in the vineyard, with limited vigour.